Saturday, February 23, 2008

42 things to do before I'm 43

1. see a platypus in the wild - this is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. It's been on my "must do" list forever. This is the year. I might go to Tasmania.
2. run for 6kms without stopping and without collapsing - I can do this, I know I can.
3. lose 6 kgs - I've made a start. I've lost 2kgs since I wrote the list. Hooray for me.
4. re-read "The Art of Happiness" - to help me re-focus. Thanks to Ruth for making think about this book again.
5. learn about Catholic religious practices so I understand what Ruby's doing at school - in just a couple of weeks, she's already learned so much by being thrust in to Lent at the start of the year
6. help with reading in Ruby's class for a morning every 6 weeks or so - I can do this, just need to book some dates in.
7. write a card or a letter each week - they'll be written on a train or a plane for sure, so forgive the scrawl when I write to you
8. sew my own skirts. I'm feeling motivated to sew and of course I have tonnes of fabric.
9. take Ruby and Max to Canberra.
10. read 5 new authors.
11. order Moo cards. I do love them and I want some.
12. make a pavlova. I feel like I can't really live too many more years saying "oh no, I've never made a pav". This might be the year it gets done.
13. have a holiday in Sydney - the kids are old enough to really love Sydney now. Ruby often pretends that she lives in an apartment at the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. :)
14. hire a kayak every now and then. I love kayaking but don't do it often enough. Actually, it happens pretty bloody rarely these days and I want that to change.
15. buy a Max ring. It's a long story. But basically Max wants me to have a "Max" ring to celebrate his birth because I have a "Ruby" ring. Max has started putting money in his piggy bank but it could be a while before I get one if I wait for the coins to accumulate.
16. do a photo session every month
17. learn how to use the different functions on my camera properly
18. use the treadmill at least 4x every week. I'm on track for this.
19. ride my bike!
20. organise play dates for Ruby and Max
21. print all of Ruby and Max's baby photos. I can't believe I haven't done this.
22. buy a new suit. I'll get another one in winter.
23. have a pedicure. I love them and it's been a long while since I had one.
24. reconnect with Rod and Donna. I miss them.
25. take a Pilates class.
26. learn how to use CUBA. It's a work thing.
27. take Ruby and Max bushwalking. So many beautiful places to go and I'm pretty sure they could both walk for a few k's now without shouting to be carried.
28. read the newspaper. More than just on the weekends that is.
29. subscribe to Crikey. I've got a lot of value out of the free trial.
30. blog at least once a week. I'll try harder I promise.
31. practice compassion everyday. I'm doing OK with this I think.
32. write to Souerng often. Souerng is our 5 year old sponsor child who lives in Cambodia. Ruby and Max tell people she's their sister.
33. stretch every day. I want more strength and less pain.
34. download fave songs/albums from the internet.
35. make time to escape every month or so. There are so many good places to run away to.
36. write my "I believe" manifesto.
37. back up my digital photos. I can't believe I haven't done this very well. I have saved some photos to CD, but I'm not very conscientious with this. And I have got an external hard drive sitting right here beside me.
38. surprise Mark.
39. replant the front garden. We need to do this soon or our neighbours will force us out of the street.
40. stick with natural medicines to improve my health.
41. spend a day with Mark every month or so. We've had 2 days together without kids so far this year. It's a very good thing.
42. buy some gorgeous new perfume. It's been a long time since I last bought myself perfume that I loved/must have.

I'll try my best to do these things before my birthday.
So what's on your list?

3 comments:

Em said...

Dear Kath! I like your list. Altho I read No27 as *you* being able to walk a few k's without shouting to be carried... now that sounds like me. Will catch up soon dear friend - it's almost autumn here :) Love to you xxx

Ruth said...

Great list Kath. Some wonderful things to achive there. And Tassie is definitely the best place for platypus sightings.
I should do a list too. Not in the right head space right now though, chaos has taken control and i'm too disorganised. Perhaps after my hoiday.

Danielle said...

Oh Kath, I love your list. What a great idea. Goodluck. I hope you get it all done before your next birthday.